Its a week night.. Had a fairly long day at work… You know you have to cook.. You do not want to but you are hungry….
Now would you really do not have the energy to do anything and you can barely drag yourself to the kitchen…
But you are hungry… Personally I hate take aways.. avoid them like the plague… Moreover, I wasn’t certainly going to gorge on fastfood or drive out to get something….
My folks are out of town so I cannot make a demand to mum either !! sigh sad life…
Thant is when I opened the freezer and what do I find.. some yummy prawns.. Mum had left them last week.. and there was some rice cooked from last night.. So I whipped up something quick and easy…
if you go by the clock it took me exactly 25 mins to prepare everything from start to finish and by 7:30 pm dinner was in front of the television.. After a quick shower I could just put my feet up and enjoy simple whole some dinner…
Sichwan Sweet Chilly Prawns
For the sauce
- 1 cup of hot water
- 5 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornflour
For the prawns
- 1 egg
- 100 g potato flour, or corn flour
- groundnut oil, for deep frying, plus 1 tablespoon
- 12-15 large raw tiger prawns, head and shell off, tail on, and deveined
- 1 tbsp sichuan peppercorns
- Ginger garlic paste mix ( 1.5 teaspoon each)
- 2 medium red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 spring onions, chopped at an angle into 2.5cm pieces
1. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a pyrex jug and set aside.
2. For the prawns: put the egg, potato flour or cornflour and about 2 tablespoons of water into a bowl and mix to make a batter.
3. Heat the groundnut oil in a wok set over a high heat.
4. Dip each prawn into the batter, and fry in the hot oil until golden
5. Heat a pan over a high heat and when hot add 1 tablespoon of oil. As soon as the oil starts to smoke, add the Sichuan peppercorns and stir-fry for a few seconds before adding the garlic, ginger and chillies – stir-fry for a few more seconds.
6. Add the sauce you made earlier to the stir-fry pan and bring to the boil. Stir in the lime juice, spring onions and coriander and remove from the heat and coat over the prawns.
7. Serve with rice – egg-fried rice makes a good match.
& easy steps to a hearty dinner
… The colour is so gorgeous and you just have no option but dive into it…..
I had some left overs which I could use as an add on for tonight’s dinner