Weekdays can be so packed; you are pretty much running around all day . So when it is time for dinner, you want to keep it simple, yet wholesome tasty and with winters approaching, comforting.
This amazing pasta dish is simple one pot, about 20-25 mins and from , The Best Simple Recipes from America’s Test Kitchens. It’s filled with over 200 recipes for quick and easy dinners that can be ready in thirty minutes or less. All these recipes are tried and tested, though I have made my changes but the basic recipe is still the same.
This pasta is based on all your kitchen cupboard ingredients and if you are vegetarian replace sausages with mushrooms.
First things first — the sausage. I am a huge fan of sausage, they taste yummy and add a whole new zing
The best part of this recipe is that you do not need to boil the pasta, they cook in the sauce. So extra dishes to wash up.. EXTRA BONUS
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sausage ; I used smoked pork sausage, you can use whatever you wish and incase of a vegetarian, replace with mushroom. Tastes just yum.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth (use store bought/ vegetarians go for the vege broth)
- 5 ripe tomatoes a couple of and green chiles, Mild
- 1/2 cup cream
- 8 oz penne pasta/ even egg noodles pasta work great
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1 cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
Add olive oil to an skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Next add the broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. simmer until cheese is melted and bubbly.