Its Friday, its rainy, I am at home and I have to cook lunch, and I am lazy, I don’t want to, oh well I am just being crabby. Last weekend was so much fun and I want a holiday .. Why can we not have Easter every Friday… Oh well wishful thinking..
Its been raining all morning
Since it has been all cloudy and raining, a curry could work as good, hearty and soulful lunch. This curry is a mix of eggplant and some leftover vegetables in the refrigerator. It is super easy, has the mix of Garam Masala (warm spice if you literally translate it) a mix of whole spices and cooks fast about 25-3- mins.. While my curry simmers on the stove, here is some facts about me…
Two roads diverged in the the wood and I…
- I am a complete book worm and yes, in a month I read about 4-5 books
- I have experienced 3 schools with 3 different education boards in my life time and believe me it is not fun.
- I always had a crush on Gregory Peck and wouldn’t mind trading Chocolates for him
- I am a self confessed fan of Post-its and have every possible shape size and colour in the world
- In school I always hated needle work and never quite manage to clear the exam, years later I am still as bad and cant manage to put thread through a needle. My needlework teacher Mrs Reema Shrivastav, who I was mortally scared of then and now a good friend and a loving food enthusiast will confirm it.
- I neither drink tea or coffee in the morning and still manage to kick start my day perfectly.
- In 30 years I have lived in 30 homes
- have been to the Outer Hebrides and heard the silence of the sea been broken ( Wordsworth, Solitary Reaper)
- I am a self confessed Garlic Lover, I can live on Garlic apart from pasta
- I am allergic to mint leaves
- In the last 10 years I have covered 13 countries, 1.3 countries every year
- Food is my biggest passion any food apart from books and travel and shoes and bag and fridge magnets and old world furniture…..
- Seinfeld is my all time favourite sitcom; bubble boy being the favourite episode.
- Dogs and Tigers are my most favourite animal
- I always sleep on the right side of the bed when I am at home and on the left side when I am travelling,
So there you go 15 things about me.. Now back to the curry.. it turned out quite good actually…
- Eggplant 1 medium diced
- Tomatoes-1 large diced
- Onion=1 medium diced
- Zucchini/courgette- 1 diced ( had some in the refrigerator)
- Potatoes 2 medium diced
- Ginger paste 1- tsp
- Garlic paste-1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds-1 /2 tsp
- green chilies sliced -1
- turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- red chili powder-1 tsp
- garam masala- 1 tsp
- Curry powder- 1 tsp ( you can use Kitchen King Masala from MDH)
- Oil -2 tbs
- In a large pan heat the oil, Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds, once they begin to crackle add the onions, and saute till it is translucent, next add the garlic and ginger, cook until onion has softened. stirring often to prevent burning. Next add tomatoes and saute till it gets mushy and mixes well with the onion and the ginger garlic.
- Now add the powdered spice and saute till the oil separates. Next add the eggplant, zucchini and potatoes and mix until they are well coated with the spices. Add salt
- Cover and simmer under medium low heat until the eggplant and the other vegetables have cooked all the way through, soft and the liquid has evaporated leaving a thick mixture. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with Basmati rice, for a hearty rainy day lunch…