Labor Day weekend is over. Which means summer is officially on its way out. Now, this makes me sad, this means good bye to The precious four months of lovely sunny, warm weather and the wait for the long cold hard mid-west winters. The summer months here are so delightful, you wish they never ends. Having said that , my favorite season of the year is here. Fall , I love fall. It is natures one last present before the harsh winter sweeps in. The best part about fall or as I like to call it autumn is that the nights become cooler and there is a nip in the air. Then there is the fall foliage. I have experienced fall foliage now for over 12 years but every time I see the leaves change its color, it never ceases to amaze me. They look gorgeous. The vivid yellows and the feast red and the burnt orange is an absolute delight to watch and a feast for the eyes.
As Shelly would put it.
“Yellow, and black, and pale, and hectic red,
Pestilence-stricken multitudes: O thou,
Who chariotest to their dark wintry bed
The winged seeds, where they lie cold and low,
Each like a corpse within its grave, until
Thine azure sister of the Spring shall blow”
Autumn has a lot of significance for us Bengalis as well. Sarad kaal as it is known in bengali is a time for festival. Our biggest celebration of the year comes at this time of the year, Durga Pujo. Devi pakkho or the time of the Mother Goddess is round the corner. Back home in Kolkata the pandals are almost complete. The puja shopping in full swing and the whole city plunges into the festive mood. Though my parents never stay the city during this time because they say it’s too overwhelming. I on the other hand crave for a piece of that festivity. I guess, we never really miss something till we are far removed from it. Finally, my bias for autumn is because I was born in this season so I feel a sort of deep connection with fall. Let us put it this way, the melancholic nature of fall makes me happy.
With summer finally over, I had the last box of Raspberry that I had picked up from my local farmers market and I decided to bake this summer cake with autumn colors an ode to both seasons. Simple wholesome flavourful loaf packed with a chocolate and fruity flavor.
White Chocolate Raspberry loaf.
- Plain Flour -1.5 cups
- sour cream-1/2 cup
- baking powder-1/4 teaspoon
- baking soda -1/4 teaspoon
- fresh raspberry-1.5 cup
- white chocolate chips 1 cup
- salt pinch
- Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- lemon extract-1.5 teaspoon
- Set the oven to pre-heat at 325 degrees F . Next grease a loaf tin 9x5x3 and line the base with parchement paper and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separe bowl dust the berries with some flour and keep it aside.
- In a stand mixer cream with sugar and butter until the mixture is light and fluffy. Next add the eggs one by one and beat in between the addition of the eggs.
- Add the extracts . now keep the mixer at the lowest speed and add the flour mixture little by little. Finally, add the sour cream and beat for a minute.
- Now remove the bowl from the stand and fold in the chocolate chips and raspberries.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake it in the oven for 60-70 mins.
- Once out of the oven and let it cool on the wire rack for 10-15 mins before taking it out of the pan and cutting it.